Friday, March 10, 2006

DRY or WET

ServerSide is a great resource to get news on the latest trends in the Java world. It also has a .NET version ( I'm not going to even provide the link to that) that covers the 'other' side of the moon.

In a recent posting about the Wicket framework, I got introduced to the new WET principal.

In response to a 'Does Wicket violate the DRY principle?' question, someone jokingly suggested the WET principal. For those of you who are not familiar with these two principals, DRY stands for 'Don't Repeat Yourself'; the newly suggested WET stands for 'Write Everything Twice'.

Seriously though, what in the world is going on with all these Java Web frameworks? It seems to me the quest for DRY is causing the creation of WAF ('Write Another Framework'). I recently counted fifty-five of them. FIFTY-FIVE! I would tend to think that I would be a bit confusing for the newcomers to the Java world. 'Let me see. Should I write my new web application in Java, using one of the 55 frameworks available, thus spending 7 weeks investigating which one to use.. Or wait....RUBY?'.

I don't know whether the aim is to stay DRY or go WET, what I'm sure of is NAF!

No comments:

Post a Comment